Tuesday 3 April 2012

Ali Abunimah on History & Culture

by Gilad Atzmon
Tuesday, April 3rd, 2012
http://youtu.be/6hrJcMO88EI


In the above clip I elaborate on Ali Abunimah’s attitude towards history and culture.

I contend that since Israel defines itself as the Jewish State and its tanks are decorated with Jewish symbols, we are entitled to ask ourselves who are the Jews and what is Judaism and Jewishness? In my work I try to grasp the role and the impact of Jewish culture on Israeli and Jewish politics – something I believe necessary to bring peace to the region and beyond.

But Ali Abunimah doesn’t agree. In reference to a talk I gave at the Stuttgart One State Conference (Dec 2010), he suggested that history and politics are detached from culture – an unusual approach which contradicts all recognized, intellectual and philosophical understandings of humanity, history, politics as well as culture.
Abunimah says “Talking about Jewish culture, is wrong because such arguments can be made about anyone. We could blame German culture for the history of Germany…”
Someone should tell Abunimah that this is exactly what intellectuals, historian and political scientists do. They search for the origin of political thoughts in culture, ideology, religion and heritage. For instance, those who study the Nazi eratry to comprehend the impact of Wagner, the German symphony, Protestant culture, German philosophy, Martin Luther’s “The Jews And Their Lies”, Hegel and the German Spirit, German Early Romanticism, Lebensphilosophie, Heine, Athens vs. Jerusalem and so on.

It is obvious to me that, Abunimah didn’t think it through. However, it is never too late to admit a mistake and get it right.

To view Atzmon’s Stuttgart presentation follow http://youtu.be/MlvaN2c-Oto



River to Sea Uprooted Palestinian  
The views expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of this Blog!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have read Gilad's book: The Wandering Who?
And I am in total agreement with his stand.

After I saw that Ali Abunimah, denounced Gilad, I took The Electronic Intifada off my bookmarked list and have not gone there since.
I am boycotting his site until he apologizes.

I am not attached to him apologizing, though, as I am a person who strongly believes in freedom of speech.

Saying that, I also believe that there are consequences to freedom of speech - others may disagree and may have a different opinion of you and even boycott, like I am doing with Ali Abunimah's web site.

Gilad's video response is brilliant.

One more thing - I absolutely hate Jazz, however, I love Gilad's music.

Keep up the good fight, Gilad... and, Salaam Alaikum, Gilad.

uprooted Palestinian said...

Thak you Palestine Rose.
I fully agree with you.